If you’re a first-time homeowner in Mishawaka, IN, you might be making some common homeowner mistakes that you don’t realize can damage your home. These are the most common no-nos that come from good intentions.
- If bleach is a go-to for many issues in the home, you might want to use caution. Bleach can eat the sealant on surfaces like granite, discolor laminate and colored grout, fad enamel and acrylic bathtubs, dissolve vinyl, and corrode seals inside the garbage disposal. A better answer is vinegar and water.
- Do you have ivy climbing on the outside of your home? It may look nice, but it can cause damage because it sends roots into any cracks or crevices that create openings for moisture and insects to enter.
- Chemical drain cleaners may seem like the best way to go for a clogged sink, but they are made with hydrochloric acid and sulfuric acid that can erode pipes. An old-fashioned plunger, drain snake, or a Zip-it gadget is safe and more effective.
- Being a dutiful homeowner, you’re likely to fix any caulking you see coming apart or to seal up cracks. Make sure to use the right type of caulking because the wrong type can lead to damage by allowing moisture in because it didn’t adhere properly.
- If you have countertops that need occasional resealing, such as natural stone, concrete, wood, or glass, be sure to take care of it, but not to the point of suffocation. Over-sealing countertops can create streaked or cloudy surfaces.
Kevin Dennis Insurance Agency
The Kevin Dennis Insurance Agency has over 46 years of experienced insurance agents working to provide home insurance to those in the Mishawaka, IN area. Contact us today to explore your homeowner’s insurance needs.